Monday, February 16, 2015

If Only People Tried to Understand.

If your loved one had cancer, ALS, or any other illness would you blame them, or worse walk out on them? Would you stop loving and caring about them purely because they were afflicted with a disease they neither wanted nor asked for? It may surprise my family and friends to know just how many members of my mental health group have lost loved ones due to a mental illness they neither wanted nor asked for either. It is painful to know that many, many of them have coped with this, done what they need to do in order to survive and yet are still rejected, isolated and alone rejected by their own family. Many are able to maintain relationships now that they were unable to do in the past due to the condition they were in at the time, but remain unforgiven. It hurts when I hear sons and daughters unwilling to forgive their own parents or even try to understand their side of things too. I cannot imagine being disowned by my children, they are so near and dear to me. Nor can I imagine not being granted access to my grandchildren. Many people who comply with treatment are able to lead productive lives, maintain relationships and live rewarding lives, if society and especially those they love but give them a chance. Every day I hear such sorrowful stories from thousands of persons all over the world. People I have never met except on this pathway of pain. I know how blessed I am that my family never gave up on me, and to have a life's partner who stands by me and loves me through it all. It is possible to work through the madness, the darkness and the pain and inspire others to do the same. People need to know they are not alone and they are accepted and loved. That is all any of us want!! Lynn-Marie Ramjass

No comments: